Sometimes you see something and you say " I just gotta have that!!"
Walking through the Cioffis butcher shop on Hastings near Boundary Road I saw these Wild Boar Sausages in the freezer section. I didn't know what I was going to do with them but I'd think of something. I've had Wild Boar Prosciutto before and it was so flavourful I had to try these sausages. I blame my fascination with wild boar on my grade 7 English teacher that made us read "The Lord of the Flies."
Feeds about 4 - 6, takes about an hour.
1 lb wild boar sausages
1 1/2 lbs fresh kale
4 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped red onion
3 cloves garlic, sliced
2 cups tomato puree (blend a large can of crushed tomatoes)
1/2 cup dry red wine
ground salt and pepper
2 cups pasta ( I use Truroots Organic Gluten-Free Penne Pasta from Costco)
Crushed red chilli flakes to taste
- Peel casings off sausages. Break into small pieces,
- Trim heavy stems from kale and keep the leaves, rinse. Chop kale leaves
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a 4 -5 quart heavy skillet, salute pan or casserole.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring over medium heat until softened.
- Add sausages and cook, stirring, until they begin to brown.
- Add about 1/3 of the kale and when it has wilted, continue adding kale until all has wilted.
|starting to wilt the kale|
- Stir in tomato puree and wine
- Simmer over low heat about 10 minutes, season with salt and pepper, cover and continue simmering.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add pasta and cook until al dente (follow package instructions) about 8 minutes.
- Drain well and add to kale mixture.
- Add remaining olive oil and fold ingredients together
- Add chili flakes and more salt if needed, Stir a little more
- Serve and yum it up!