Tuesday 18 August 2015

Maple Bourbon BBQ Sauce

BBQ sauce is something you buy.  I always thought this.  Why wouldn't I?  I was talking to client of mine who said they were making ketchup (or catsup in some countries) from scratch.  "Why" I asked.  So you can control the amount of sugar and salt and the flavour too.  Duh!  Of course.

So naturally I figured I should try something like that too.  But I really don't use ketchup, so...what about something to accompany my famous (in my mind) ribs.  Perfect.  That'll be a little bit of excellent on top of awesome. Let's make a BBQ sauce.



1 tbsp (15 mL)  vegetable oil
3-4 shallots chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp (10 mL)  paprika (smoke)
1 tsp (5 mL)  dry mustard
1/4 tsp (1 mL)  salt (I really like Maldon salt)

2 tablespoons hot sauce (Cholula)
1 tablespoon Worstershire sauce 
Approximately 3/4 cup organic strained tomatoes 
1/3 cup (75 mL)  bourbon (use your favourite, Buffalo Trace is a good go to)
1/4 cup (50 mL)  maple syrup
2 tbsp (25 mL)  cider vinegar

1/2 cup water





In a saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat; fry onion, garlic, paprika, mustard and salt, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.




Add chili sauce (tomatoes, hot sauce, Worstershire sauce), 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, bourbon, maple syrup and vinegar; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 1 cup (250 mL), about 25 minutes. In your beautiful wife's Vitamix blender or food processor, puree until smooth. (Make-ahead: Let cool; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)




It's going to smell heavenly in your home making this.  It'll get the stomach juices flowing.  All you have to do now is smear it all over your meat and listen to the sounds of joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment