Tuesday 1 September 2015

Grilled Squid




I wanted a fun fresh appy before my Paella. (Look forward to seeing this one posted in the future.)  The Mediterranean Sea was on my mind.  On a trip to Spain I had plain cuttlefish that was cook perfectly.  However; no matter how perfectly cuttlefish is cooked, 2 pounds in one sitting is too much! I remember thinking that squid would be great without a batter on it like we usually get here in Vancouver.  I kinda winged this one and and was rewarded with great success.

Serves 4

Ingredients

8 squid tubes and a bunch of tentacles
Romaine leaves
Sliced black olives

Marinade
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 2 limes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tbsp chili oil
1 garlic clove minced
2 tsp fresh oregano leaves chopped fine
2 tsp parsley leaves chopped fine

Directions
  • Mix all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together

  • With a sharp small knife cut open the tubes along one side. 
  • Score the inside lightly making sure to not cut all the way through the tubes
  • Marinade for at least 1 hour, better to go 2 hours
Meanwhile prepare the plates:


  • Wash and place 2 romaine heat leaves on each plate
  • Put a handful of sliced black olives onto the romaine leaves






BBQ
You want the BBQ very hot.  This is going to be a fast grilling.  

SUPER IMPORTANT POINT!!
Readying the squid after it has marinated you must pat it dry with paper towels.  This is very important because they won't brown and they will get rubbery and chewy.  Trust me you will be eating a Pink Pearl eraser.

  • Just before putting the squid on a very hot BBQ spray the grill with oil ( I like grape seed oil because of the high burning temperature)
  • Place the tubes across the grill and the tentacles where the grill intersections are.
  • turn after 1 minute and grill on the other side for 1 minute.  Hint: use a timer it goes fast.






Final Plating:
  • Arrange the tubes and tentacles on the romaine lettuce and drizzle with your favourite olive oil.  I used Milanese Gremolata olive oil from the Vancouver Olive Oil Company 
  • Serve 
  • You can cut it with a knife and fork or roll them up to enjoy as my brother did :)
 





















This made a great appetizer for the Paella that was resting.  Rmember that this is an appitizer so don't make 2 pounds per person :)  3 happy campers on my brother's birthday.  I have to say this recipe made me happy for days and weeks afterwards.  I am looking forward to making it again.  It was just so fresh and fun!  



No comments:

Post a Comment